The Office of Inspector General (OIG) today issued a proposed rule which would amend the federal civil monetary penalty (CMP) regulations addressing new CMP authorities created under the Affordable Care Act. The revised regulations would allow for civil penalties, assessments, and exclusion from Medicare for and of the following:
- Failure to grant OIG timely access to records;
- ordering or prescribing while excluded;
- making false statements, omissions, or misrepresentations in an enrollment application;
- failure to report and return an overpayment; and
- making or using a false record or statement that is material to a false or fraudulent claim.
Comments on the proposed regualtions can be submitted up until July 11, 2014. The proposed rule and instructions for submitting comments can be viewed here: http://oig.hhs.gov/authorities/docs/2014/fr-79-91.pdf